Windows Easy Transfer is a tool for transferring files and settings from one system to another running Windows. Not only this, you can transfer data from one user’s profile, or
from multiple user accounts. It helps you to decide what to move to your new computer, which transfer method to use, and finally perform the transfer. When you are done with
transferring, it displays a reports of the transferred content. It also offers a list of programs that you might want to install on new computer.
Note: You cannot use this tool to move program files. It can transfer only data and program settings. You must then install your software programs on the new computer. Its also
not capable to transfer any system files such as fonts and drivers. You can transfer files and settings using a network, USB drive or the Easy Transfer cable. You can order this
cable on the Internet or contact computer manufacturer.
Upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7
You cannot upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7. However, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer files and settings from Windows XP to Windows 7 on the same computer. For
this, you need to copy files to a removable media, such as an external hard drive or USB flash drive, or to a network share. Next, you will install Windows 7 and then migrate
your files back from the removable media onto your computer. When you are done, you must re-install your software programs again.
Copy files using Windows Easy Transfer on XP computer.
• Insert the Windows 7 DVD while running Windows XP.
• Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking the Start menu, and then clicking Explore.
• Browse to the DVD drive on your computer and click migsetup.exein the Support\Migwiz directory.
• The Windows Easy Transfer window opens.
• Click Next.
• Select An external hard disk or USB flash drive.
• Click This is my old computer. Windows Easy Transfer scans the computer.
• Click Next. You can also determine which files should be migrated by selecting only the user profiles you want to transfer, or by clicking Customize.
• Enter a password to protect your Easy Transfer file, or leave the box blank, and then click Save.
• Browse to the external location on the network or to the removable media where you want to save your Easy Transfer file, and then click Save.
• Click Next. Windows Easy Transfer displays the file name and location of the Easy Transfer file you just created.
Transfer files and settings on Windows 7 computer.
1. If you saved your files and settings in an Easy Transfer file on a removable media such as a USB flash drive or external hard drive rather than on a network share, insert
the removable media into the computer.
2. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Windows Easy Transfer.
3. Click Next.
4. Click An external hard disk or USB flash drive.
5. Click This is my new computer.
6. Click Yes, open the file.
7. Browse to the location where the Easy Transfer file was saved. Click the file name, and then click Open.
8. Click Transfer to transfer all files and settings. You can also determine which files should be migrated by selecting only the user profiles you want to transfer, or by
9. Click Close after Windows Easy Transfer has completed moving your files.